The Judith Williams Trust Scholarship Program
Judith Williams, a visionary, recognized the formidable challenges confronted by single women with children who aspire to enhance their earning potential by pursuing further education. To alleviate their financial burdens as they strive to attain self-sufficiency, she established the scholarship fund in her name. Since 1993, Coastal Economic Development Corp, which was later renamed Midcoast Maine Community Action (MMCA), has been entrusted with the vital responsibility of administering and overseeing the Judith W. Williams Trust. This partnership has been instrumental in empowering single parents to pursue their educational and economic aspirations.
Eligibility Criteria for Application
- Single parents who have custody of minor child/children; and
- Who have a high school diploma/GED and have been out of secondary education at least five years.
Acceptable Uses for Funding
- Tuition costs at an accredited college;
- Tuition costs at an established trade school; and/or
- Payments to a licensed childcare provider while enrolled in an academic program or trade school.
- Scholarships up to $10,000 per academic year may be awarded to an individual candidate. In establishing the amount of a tuition award, consideration will be given to the annual cost of tuition as well as any additional funding from other sources. (i.e. Pell Grant). Childcare requests will be considered with respect to average rates for area providers.
- Applications can be requested by contacting Midcoast Maine Community Action at 34 Wing Farm Parkway in Bath, ME 04530 via phone at (207) 442-7963 or via email at email@example.com. Completed applications can be dropped off in-person, mailed, or emailed to the addresses above.