Give your child skills to succeed in school.
Head Start and Early Head Start are available at no cost to all eligible families that reside in Sagadahoc, Lincoln and Northern Cumberland County.
Eligibility is based on income and family size however there are multiple levels of eligibility. TANF, Supplemental Security Income recipients and foster parents automatically qualify.
Head Start & Early Head Start Programs
The Head Start and Early Head Start Programs provide free high-quality, early childhood education for income-qualified families. Early Head Start serves children 6 weeks to 3 years old. Head Start serves preschoolers 3 to 5 years old.
These FREE programs give you the time you need to work or go to school while your child has a chance to learn, socialize, get nutritious meals and snacks, and play in a licensed center with caring, qualified teachers.
Home-based Early Head Start Services
Home-based Head Start Service Areas
- Cumberland County: Brunswick , Harpswell
- Sagadahoc County: Topsham, Bath, West Bath, Phippsburg, Georgetown, Arrowsic, Woolwich, Bowdoin, Bowdoinham, Richmond
- Lincoln County: Wiscasset, Dresden, Westport, Edgecomb, Boothbay, Boothbay Harbor, Southport, Newcastle, Damariscotta, Nobleboro, Bremen, Bristol, South Bristol, Waldoboro
Supporting parents is an important part of these programs. As a parent, you are your child’s first and most important teacher.
Head Start emphasizes your role in your child’s life, and our staff work with you and your child offering programs that support family well-being and positive parent-child relationships.
Head Start is also the only nationally recognized program of its kind that provides support to children with disabilities and their families.
Parent Support Topics:
- Baby and Child Health Care
- Breastfeeding/Formula Feeding
- Child Development
- Developmental Screenings
- Disability Support
- Learning Play Groups
- Child Safety
- Effective Discipline
- Household Safety
- Local Resources
- Other Organized Family Events